Monday, August 29, 2011

Snowboarders lower curtain on Winter Games


Some of the world's best half pipe snowboarders thrilled crowds at Cardrona, wrapping the New Zealand Winter Games up in spectacular fashion.

The finals of the LG FIS Snowboard Half Pipe World Cup, the Games' marquee event, were fiercely competitive yesterday, with top ten ranked riders riders filling the run sheets of both the men's and women's finals.

Flying Finn Janne Korpi claimed the mens' crown. His first run looked like it would be the one to beat as soon as he landed an incredible backside rodeo to backside nine on his first jump.

World number four Yiwei Zhang (correct) of China took out second, while Dutch rider Dimi De Jong (correct) scooped third with a strong second run.

Korpi, a two-time Winter Olympian, said his day went completely according to plan, landing the tricks he wanted to land.

"When I got my first run I was pretty happy," the 25-year-old said. "I did what I planned to do today, landed all my tricks." Read More


No comments:

Post a Comment